Monday, July 20, 2009

I’M FAT!!!???? NOOOOO..........

Yet another truth about me...only difference is that it surfaced only today.

I’ve overweight now.

Not that I was slim as a twig before, but I always managed to weigh normal for my age and height…OR my body managed it…I always ate alike, right from childhood to the present day. And I never looked like an obese. When ever I complained about my weight, people comforted me saying “it’s just right for your height”. I have never tried to drop my foodie tag nor to gain weight .I always wanted to lose weight, for I’ve always thought I weigh more than needed. And now it has been confirmed...

BUT THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!

I’m FAT?????? OH NO…. :( :’(


Well, let me explain how all this started…

I confined myself to my home for the past 2 months… I finished my final graduation exams in April. I’ve been killing time at home for the past few months. My post graduation classes commence only in August which means, I’m still home, full time…all I’m doing is get up, eat, watch TV, sleep, read and then again watch TV, eat and then sleep. So that explains why I have gained weight….Today I went to a near by hospital to consult a physician to get my medical fitness certificate, only upon its submission will my MBA admission procedure get completed. It had all these fields asking for name and other basic info. Then my height (5.6), weight, things which I’m allergic to (I honestly don’t think I’m allergic to anything except raw wood dust and being silent), blood group and medication details. The doctor greeted me with a ‘Hello madam’ when I stepped in and showed me a seat. I was kind of both startled and impressed with it. He prescribed for a routine blood test to check for abnormalities in my blood cells count...I was sure there won’t be any signs of anemia or other deficiencies for I’m eating really well ,even more than enough now a days. And then I had to wait for more than an hour to get my blood test reports. According to the report, all was well. I was happy. No need to take that iron smelling, blood coloured tonic to increase my hemoglobin levels (once upon a time, I was made to take it regularly).


Now I’m at the consulting room. He asked for my name and other details to fill in the form. He paused at ‘weight:’ And then went over to ‘height:’ I haven’t checked my weight for months now and height for years. He asked me to stand on weighing machine. I tried to look down the meter but was immediately told to keep my head straight. The doctor was reading the fitness form the college sends me and so asked several questions about my graduation and PG while my weight and height were being measured. The nurse murmured the weight to herself. It was good that I didn't ask, for I would have fainted there itself not making it to measuring my height. I know they got my height wrong...Coz her measure said 166 Cm which unquestionably is not right, since it makes only 5.4 and I’m 5.6. I was then asked to sit and wait while the doctor fills in the details. I was asked about my present physical state. I used to be asthmatic... As a kid I was extremely exposed to frequent illness. But over years I have developed resistance to such problems and my Mother no longer panics as she used to even at a single ‘aahh..aahh..hachee ‘.

After completing the procedures with his official seal, the Doctor handed over the certificate to me. Without any delay I checked my weight. I was traumatized with what was written in blue link next to ‘weight:’


Any guesses???


I WEIGHT 68 Kg TODAY! ARRRGGGG…no no no…


That’s so close to 70!! And I’m just 20. My weight always bordered within 55-58 Kg. And now it went straight up to 68!! When the initial shock ceased, I enquire to the doctor if this was normal. He took his mobile. I sat confused. Why is this guy taking out his phone? What? He wants my contact number? Or he just got a call? Sorry man, this is a consultancy; you cannot use your mobile here.


Then after seconds he showed his mobile to me. His mobile had Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator on its application directory... And I read what was written across the display...It was my BMI. It would have appeared really funny to anyone but me…

In a comical manner, it said ‘FAT!!’

I stared and stared, I stared as he stuffed the phone back into his pocket.

You’re done”, he finally declared.

I said a ‘thank you’ and walked out.


I was back home only around 4 in the evening and didn't even bother to help myself with a cup of tea to cope with the heavy rain outside. My mother called to know if I was back. I answered he call and told her the breaking news. There was silence for a moment and then she said. “Don’t worry; you’ll lose it soon since you’re going to live in a hostel”Mother’s are always comforting. Aren't they??


My father was laughing at the ‘breaking news’. He will never mind if I complain that I’m becoming increasingly plump, he’ll say,”Oh, It’s just baby fat” and will encourage to ‘eat well’. He still can't admit I’m grown up and 20. For him I will always be the little girl who sat on his lap in a yellow frock for the first ever family photograph. His school of thought is that girls tend to eat well as long as they are under the care of their parents. Once they move out and set up a family of their own, they’ll no longer bother to keep their tummy full.


I will not starve. But I’ll eat wisely. My strategy is going to be

1. Give up eating sweets and fries.

2. Eat salads at least once a day.

3. Absolute ban to junk food.

4. Climb the stairs up and down 20 times a day.


As a beginning,I’m going to make that stupid machine point its needle to a clear 60 (which is normal for my height ). YES I AM.

Guys…PLEASE help…any tips on losing weight by eating appropriately???


8 comments:

  1. diviii.......wats diz dear??? 68kgs....!!!!!!!

    serikkum njetti...saree uduthu cute aayi ninna pennaaa......enthaayippo....[note:eppadi iruntha nee....]

    "For him I will always be the little girl who sat on his lap in a yellow frock for the first ever family photograph"..........cool

    cheers dear...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ho...

    Cha i missed a great leg pulling session since you din't attend Harsha's wedding..Oye fatty fatty..cha cha just eat and sleep is all that you do these days huh...

    Anyways all the best in your uphill task, lets see if you can make it before we meet next time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jenshia
    athe athe eppadi erundha naan epadiayitten...
    :'(

    @rahul
    yeah, we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JUST DON'T WORRY!

    Work out regularly, and don't bother at all.

    You know what, I have a female friend who is 5'6'' and she's 76 Kg!!! But still she believes it's okay with her height!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not fat Divya,you look perfect for your age and height.If u still feel u are overweight work out regularly and u will be able to see the changes soon.

    Bye,
    Nitya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi... Jus blog hopped here.. Liked ur blog.. :)
    Felt like commenting.. Its my belief tht looks jus dont matter.. Its wats inside tht matters... :)So dont worry, U jus got one lifetime, Dont spend it worrying over wat u eat..
    And u ll be seeing me around...

    Lakshmi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all great blog...

    Hey don't worry bout weight thing...
    Have whatever u want be happy...
    Like ur policy.... One life do all the things u can ...

    Tc :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete